“Seven Marks of a Healthy Church”: Marks #3 & 4 – Doctrinal and Moral Purity (cont’d)
Main idea: Only the church that remains pure before the all-seeing Son of God will rule as promised beside the almighty Son of God.
- The all-seeing Son of God rebukes his church (Revelation 2:18-23)
- The almighty Son of God promises to rule with those who remain pure (Revelation 2:24-29)
Secondary sources cited:
- Dennis E. Johnson, Triumph of the Lamb: A Commentary on Revelation (Phillipsburg: P&R, 2001).
- Joel R. Beeke, Revelation, Lectio Continua (Grand Rapids: Reformation Heritage Books, 2016).
- R. C. Sproul, “What Does ‘Coram Deo’ Mean?” Ligonier Ministries.
- Cameron Jungels, private correspondence, quoted in James M. Hamilton Jr., Revelation: The Spirit Speaks to the Churches, PTW (Wheaton: Crossway, 2012).
- John Stott, What Christ Thinks of the Church (Wheaton: Harold Shaw Publishers, 1990).
**Preacher’s note** From 33:40-33:55, I mistakenly claim that the term “morning star” only occurs twice in all of Scripture. What I had meant to say is that this term only occurs twice in all of the book of Revelation—in 2:28 and 22:16. Outside of Revelation, the term also occurs in 2 Peter 1:19. In the Old Testament, see Job 38:7 and Isaiah 14:12.