“Seven Marks of a Healthy Church”: Mark #5 – Watchful Persistence in Good Works
Main idea: Christ calls his dying church not simply to be “Christian” in name alone, but also in deed.
- A harsh rebuke to a dying church (Revelation 3:1-3)
- Two helps in revitalizing a dying church (Revelation 3:1-2, 4, 6)
- The Holy Spirit (vv. 1, 6)
- The faithful few (vv. 2, 4)
- A hope-filled reward for those who conquer (Revelation 3:5)
Secondary sources cited:
- Herodotus, The Persian War, 1.84, trans. George Rawlinson. Quoted in James M. Hamilton Jr., Revelation: The Spirit Speaks to the Churches, PTW (Wheaton: Crossway, 2012).
- Jeffrey A. D. Weima, The Sermons to the Seven Churches of Revelation: A Commentary and Guide (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2021).
- John Stott, What Christ Thinks of the Church (Wheaton: Harold Shaw Publishers, 1990).