“Seven Marks of a Healthy Church”: Marks #3 & 4 – Doctrinal and Moral Purity
Main idea: The judgment of Jesus cautions the church not to compromise her life and doctrine in the midst of a society ruled by Satan.
- Three particular repetitions (Revelation 2:12-16)
- Two references to “Satan” (v. 13)
- Three occurrences of the verb “to hold” (vv. 13-15)
- Two references to a “sword” (vv. 12, 16)
- Two promised rewards (Revelation 2:17)
Secondary sources cited:
- Robert H. Mounce, The Book of Revelation, NICNT (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1977).
- Michael Wilcock, The Message of Revelation: I Saw Heaven Opened, BST (Downers Grove: InterVarsity, 1975).